The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is hosting OPPBound 2014 in the City of Orillia from July 5 to 7, 2014. This year’s recruitment initiative will be focussed on women and men who are current or past members of the Canadian Military, Regular or Reserve, and who are interested in exploring a career in policing.
Fifty (50) applicants will be selected to spend two and one half days with “Ontario’s Finest” where they will learn about the history and traditions of the OPP.
OPPBound 2014 will include presentations and mentoring sessions with key OPP women and men, both uniform and civilian, who will share their experiences, answer questions and describe their exciting careers. Candidates will also have the opportunity to live the life of an OPP recruit, learn about the recruitment process and participate in practical exercises and physical training.
“The OPP is now a partner agency with Canada Company and the Military Employment Transition Program,” said Inspector Dave Quigley, Manager, Career Development Bureau. “The OPP benefits from hiring former military members as many of the qualities that make a good soldier are qualities that make a great, professional police officer.”
Women and men who are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity may complete an on-line application form located at www.opp.ca. The application deadline is April 11, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
For more information, please call 1-877-OPP-HIRE (1-877-677-4473) or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Traffic Statistics – Distracted Driving is Number One Killer on Roads
OPP Asking for Public’s Help with Distracted Driving Campaign (March 8 to14, 2014)
Irresponsible driver behaviour has the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) concerned about the fate of many road users this year as officers prepare to launch their next campaign against Distracted Driving.
In 2013, distracted driving fatalities surpassed both impaired and speed related fatalities in fatal motor vehicle collisions investigated by the OPP. A total of 78 persons died in distracted driving related collisions compared to 57 impaired driving deaths and 44 speed related deaths last year.
“When you consider the overall impact of these 78 fatalities last year and the 325 other distracted driving victims who have died since 2010, these irresponsible drivers have had a profound and devastating impact,” said OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair, Commander of Traffic Safety and Operational Support.
“Everyone, from the victims’ families and friends to the police officers who attend these horrific collision scenes, knows the emotional impact of one life lost to this senseless driving behavior. So many people, sadly, through experience, know how badly this behaviour needs to stop,” he added.
The OPP recognizes that the only way to stop people from dying in distracted driving related collisions is to raise awareness of how serious the problem is and to have everyone make a firm, lifelong commitment to helping the police and safety partners eliminate it altogether. According to the OPP, it can be done.
“Over and above every driver pledging to never text or talk on the phone, pledge to be a good passenger and speak up if the driver in your car is using his/her phone or engaged in other forms of distraction. Pledge to regularly encourage your friends and family to not be distracted while driving,” said OPP Chief Superintendent Don Bell, Commander of the Highway Safety Division. “Even though our campaign only runs one week, make this a year-round commitment because it is a fail proof way to help us eliminate the tragic deaths that occur every year because of distracted drivers,” added Bell.
The OPP is reminding motorists that on March 18, 2014 the current distracted driving fine of $155 will jump to $280 (this includes the increased $225 fine plus a $50 victim fine surcharge and $5 court cost).
The OPP’s Distracted Driving Campaign runs from Saturday, March 8 to Friday, March 14, 2014. During that time, the OPP will be doing its part to eliminate the threat of distracted driving through its own awareness raising efforts and focused enforcement of distracted driving laws throughout the province.
The OPP is asking Ontarians to show their support during this important campaign. Go to the OPP’s Facebook and/or Twitter pages and let them know how you plan on helping to eliminate distracted driving on Ontario roads. The OPP will highlight some of your entries in a campaign wrap-up news release following the campaign.
Caledon’s 2014 Environmentalist of the Year Named
In recognition of its contribution to the stewardship of Caledon’s natural environment, the Caledon Environmental Advisory Committee (CEAC) has chosen Belfountain Public School as the Environmentalist of the Year for 2014.
The Belfountain Public School is an early adopter of Education for Sustainable Development, using sustainability as an integrating context for teaching and learning, decision-making, civic engagement, community partnerships and campus practices.
“Congratulations to Belfountain Public School for their work in Caledon,” said Mayor Marolyn Morrison. “The school provides exciting learning activities at all grade levels to enrich the standard curriculum. Its obvious commitment to Caledon and to the natural environment is most deserving of this Environmentalist of the Year recognition.”
Belfountain Public School will be presented with its award at the Town’s Volunteer and Citizen Achievement Awards ceremony on April 7, 2014 and inducted into the CEAC Stewardship Grove on the Trans-Canada Trail in Caledon East on June 25, 2014.
Additionally, Belfountain Public School is given the honour of directing a $500 Annual Environmentalism Recognition Award to its favourite Caledon-based environmental stewardship project.
CEAC established the “Environmentalist of the Year” award in 1997 to recognize individuals or organizations that have made an outstanding contribution to environmental stewardship in the Town of Caledon.
Time to Change your Clocks and Test for Working Smoke Alarms
Daylight saving begins this coming weekend and Caledon Fire & Emergency Services is strongly urging residents to replace the batteries in their smoke alarms and test them when they change their clocks. This is also the time to test all electrically powered smoke alarm units as well.
Your smoke alarm has the power to save your life. Or does it? “In order for smoke alarms to do their job, they need to work,” explained Deputy Fire Chief Mark Wallace. “Twice a year, batteries in smoke alarms should be replaced with new ones. When you change your clocks this weekend, change the batteries in all smoke alarms.”
Seconds count when fire strikes. In order to survive a fire, you need early warning and a well-practiced, effective home escape plan. When the smoke alarms sound, it is essential that every member of the household knows how to safely leave the home, and where to meet – away from the building and away from the danger.
It’s the law to have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, it is recommended to also install smoke alarms inside all bedrooms.
Landlords are responsible to ensure their rental properties comply with the law. If you are a tenant of a rental property and do not have the required number of smoke alarms, contact your landlord immediately. It is against the law to remove the batteries or tamper with the alarm in any way.
All non-compliance with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements can result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals or $100,000 for corporations.
It’s March Break!
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Central Region is reminding the public that the annual school Spring Break begins today in many of our areas.
Chief Superintendent John Tod, Regional Commander of the OPP Central Region is reminding the public that with March Break starting, “There will be many children playing in areas where we are not used to seeing them during the day. Please watch for children at all times”.
Outdoor enthusiasts are also being reminded to use caution as milder weather is in the forecast and this will no doubt compromise the quality of snow and ice conditions. “Although winter is still very much upon us, safety and planning ahead should always play an important part of any outdoor activity in the coming days and weeks as snow and ice conditions can start to change hourly,” adds Chief Superintendent Tod.
Motorists are being reminded that the OPP’s Distracted Driving Campaign is continuing and that Distracted Driving has become the number one factor in motor vehicle related collision deaths. Inspector Dom Beckett, Manager of the OPP Central Region Traffic and Marine Unit is asking motorists to, “Please keep your eyes and attention focused on the road; that is where it needs to be all the time. Distracted driving related deaths can be reduced if drivers change their behaviour and pledge to always reach for safety and not for their phone”.
UPDATE – OPP INVESTIGATE SUSPICIOUS DEATH
Search Warrant Executed and Arrests Made
(CALEDON, ON) – On February 22, 2014 at 11:38 pm, officers from the Caledon Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call from the Peel Regional Paramedic Services (EMS) in relation to an unconscious male. The male was located in the area of Old School Road and Kennedy Road and transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased. His identity was later confirmed as 28 year old Douglas Brady BELL of Orangeville, Ontario.
On February 27, 2014, the Caledon OPP Major Crime Unit, who was assisted by the detachment Street Crime Unit, uniformed detachment members, the Central Region Emergency Response Team (ERT), members of the Central Region Support Team (RST) and the Peel Regional Police (PRP) executed a search warrant at an Avondale Boulevard residence in the City of Brampton.
Douglas TAVENOR, 44, of Brampton was arrested and has been charged with Manslaughter and Indignity to a Dead Body as a result of the on-going investigation which is continuing under the direction of Detective Inspector Paul McCrickard of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB).
The following Brampton residents were also arrested and charged with Indignity to a Dead Body and Accessory After the Fact:
- Ralph Terry MAYWOOD, 51 years of age
- Patrick EGAL, 26 years of age
- Farnaz YAGHINALI, 44 years of age
The arrested persons were held in custody overnight and will appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton later today.
Any witnesses or anyone who has any information in relation to this investigation is asked to please contact the Caledon OPP at 905-584-2241 or the OPP Provincial Communications Centre at 1-888-310-1122.
Witnesses may also contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS). You can submit information online at http://www.peelcrimestoppers.ca. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to call display and you will remain anonymous. Being anonymous, you will not testify in court and your information may lead to a cash reward of up to $2,000.
- 30 -
Contact:Provincial Constable Brenda Evans
Phone: (905) 584-2241 / (647) 389-8300
Press Release from OPP Communications:
IRRESPONSIBLE DRIVERS WHO FAIL TO ADJUST TO ROAD
CONDITIONS PUT EVERYONE AT RISK AGAIN
(ORILLIA, ON) – Irresponsible drivers who put everyone at risk by failing to adjust their driving behaviour to account for sudden extreme weather conditions were once again responsible for hundreds of crashes and many multi-vehicle collisions in the central and southwestern part of the province yesterday.
The most basic preventative – common sense – driving behaviours which are the key to safe driving under these hazardous road conditions were absent from most of yesterday’s collisions according to the hundreds of OPP officers who responded to the thousands of calls for service that were received by OPP call centres located in Orillia and London.
These basic safe driving tips continue to be: Slow down! Don’t pass! Keep your distance between vehicles. If you don’t need to be on the road, don’t travel. If you are on the road, make sure that your full lighting package is on. Your taillights are just as important to be seen by other drivers as your headlights in these kinds of conditions.
“Motorists who drive in these conditions with their ‘it won’t happen to me attitude’ and who continue to drive with reckless disregard for the safety of the other motorists around them and for our officers who have to respond to these calls, fail to take the most basic steps towards prevention of these avoidable collisions. The result was evident in the road carnage that we witnessed yesterday,” said OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair, Provincial Commander of Traffic Safety and Operational Support.
“The media do a fantastic job of partnering with the OPP to help us deliver the message during these storms,” added Blair. “Thanks to their assistance, the public is kept up to date on the major developments and traffic interruptions that are ongoing throughout the day; but what the public doesn’t know is the logistics and large number of front-line and support personnel that we need to be engaged and deployed to respond to these thousands of calls during these situations.”
Following are highlights of the response by OPP members (uniform and civilian) to the traffic occurrences in the afflicted areas of the province (excludes calls for regular police services) during the period between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, February 27:
• Provincial Communications Centres in London and Orillia received over 3,300 calls for service.
• Approximately 646 motor vehicles collisions were reported.
• Numerous multi-vehicle collisions; including:
o Three on Highway 400 between Barrie and Toronto which resulted in a 10 hour shut down (98 vehicles);
o Highway 401 shut down in two locations around London area – one lasted for seven hours the other two hours;
o Highway 402, Sarnia 37 vehicles – two fatalities
o Highway 48, Stouffville, seven vehicles – one motorist struck by vehicle lost his leg
o Highway 11, Barrie, 10 vehicles
o Highway 7A, Port Perry area, 30 vehicles on causeway
• Three fatalities in total.
• Nine OPP vehicles were struck while out at the scene of these collisions. One unattended cruiser was demolished by a dump truck while the officer was out of the vehicle.
• One OPP officer sustained serious injuries in Perth County when her cruiser was struck from behind while at the scene of a collision.
The OPP continues to follow up today on the aftermath of this latest winter blast. While the OPP extended its appreciation to those drivers who adjust their driving to the conditions of the roads, officers will continue to target those aggressive drivers who do not.
- 30 -
Contacts by OPP Region:
Highway Safety Division: Sergeant Dave Woodford Phone: (416) 553-5471
Central Region:Sergeant Peter Leon Phone: (705) 330-3738
East Region:Sergeant Kristine RaePhone: (613) 285-2750
North East Region:Sergeant Carolle Dionne Phone: (705) 845-2738
North West Region:Sergeant Shelley GarrPhone: (807) 473-2734
West Region: Sergeant Dave Rektor Phone: (519) 652-4156